5 Reasons to Wear a Jacket
Jackets are arguably one of the most underrated garments in our wardrobe. What’s your jacket story? Do you wear them? Do you have some but they just hang in your closet? Do you only wear them to work but can’t imagine that you’d want to wear one casually? Do you love them…hate them…aren’t sure?
I regularly hear all kinds of reasons why someone doesn’t wear one. These reasons often include one of these:
- “Every jacket I’ve ever tried feels stiff and uncomfortable.”
- “Blazers are boring and old-fashioned.”
- “Jackets just seem too formal. Where I work everyone is casual.”
I have to share that I am a huge (yes, huge) fan of jackets personally. For those of you on the fence or just curious about my fascination with this particular garment, I’d like to share why jackets are so fabulous!
1. They Hide a Multitude Of Sins (as my mom would say). Isn’t this just the best reason! Whatever is going on under a jacket is a mystery to everyone but you. Lumps, bumps, extra tummy, fuller hips, wiggly arms…no one else can see it.
2. They Keep You Warm. This is a key component for me because I’m always cold. A jacket adds warmth without feeling like I’m the abominable snowman (like I sometimes feel in bulky sweaters). And, for someone who runs hot and cold or goes from inside to outside a lot, a jacket is a must because it allows you to easily adjust to the temperature changes.
3. They Add an Extra Ounce of Authority. Do you work in a male dominated field or one where you are in a managerial or supervisory role? Wearing a jackets adds visual authority. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not talking about authority as a way of being intimidating or an abuse of power. It’s more about lending an air of self-confidence so you hold your head higher. It can add structure to an outfit and a feeling of purposefulness.
4. They Add Visual Interest to an Outfit. Want to add spice to a simple blouse and pair of pants? Adding a fabulous jacket is one way of bringing a bit more personality and flair to the outfit. It doesn’t have to be over the top – again, it’s all about expressing who you are and what makes you happy.
5. They Create Illusion. Have you ever put on a top and pants and thought…yikes, all I see is my belly. Or, perhaps you notice that you have a straight figure (no noticeable waist definition). Maybe your shoulders are a bit narrow and sloped so all you see are your hips. Whatever the situation, a jacket is a miracle-worker. There are days when I feel like I have all three of those situations going on on my body at once! A jacket can create curve where I want it and boost my shoulders when I need it. Whew! What a perfect garment.
Here’s a special fashion tip: If you do not have well-defined waist, here’s a little trick that can give you the waist you never had (or lost) – especially for those of you who have been avoiding belts. Wear a jacket and then belt the top underneath so all you see (when the jacket is unbuttoned) is the belt buckle and a little bit of the belt on either side. No one else can tell if your waist is big, little, thick or thin. They just know you have one because the belt gives the illusion of a waist. It’s like magic!
Jackets do not have to be ho-hum or stiff. These days they come in all fabrics and designs, and range from casual to trendy and from sophisticated to outrageous. You get to choose the right flavor for your personality and the occasion. Plus, so many of them now come with stretch in them that it’s almost impossible not to be comfy!
Here are a few ideas – just know that the possibilities are endless:
Want a little drama?
This one has a feminine feel, is longer and is kind of a cross between a jacket and a sweater:
Click here for more information.
How about a fun and flirty but casual jacket:
These are just a few ideas to help you think beyond the traditional blazer to jackets that work for different aspects of your life. There is something out there for everyone. Just keep in mind your coloring, body shape, lifestyle and personality and have fun picking and choosing.
Do you have a favorite jacket? Please feel free to share with us in the comments section.