Do You Love the Handbag You Are Carrying Right Now?
Before you read this, take a good look at your handbag. Have you been carrying the same one everyday for years? Do you even “see” it anymore or do you grab it and run out the door? Is one handbag enough or would you love to have more but cannot figure out how to transition easily?
One of the most perplexing questions to many women is “what handbag will you carry with that?” Think about it…the outfit is a winner. You’ve even aced the shoes, but the handbag? Hmmm… Frustration sets in. Your everyday bag feels too big and clunky and the other bags in your closet include a quilted diaper bag, a well-worn tote, and a lovely evening bag that holds a credit card and maybe a lipstick. Where’s the fun and pizzazz? Try this:
- Take Inventory of Your Handbag Collection:Do you have at least two everyday bags, one tote, two fun handbags, and an evening bag? If not, it is time to shop.
- Take a Fresh Look: Look at each bag you own as if you had never seen it before. Does it look sharp and fresh or a little tired? Do the edges or handle look worn? Does it go with most of your wardrobe? Is it a lovely reflection of you? If you answer no to any of these questions, either the handbag needs a little TLC or to be replaced.
- Replenish: Consider your lifestyle and basic needs. Do you wear a lot of black or do you alternate it with another basic color? Do you want a bag(s) that can stand the test of time or do you like a new, trendier style every year? What size handbag fits your body shape, size and lifestyle?
- The More the Merrier: I love handbags and I enjoy changing them to enhance my outfit and suit my mood (it also has the hidden benefit of forcing me to streamline what I carry with me!). I have to admit I change my handbag more frequently in the summer than in the winter but I love my collection nonetheless. Special note: Don’t have more than you can easily store so you can see them. Otherwise, you run the risk of out of sight, out of mind, or it just becomes too much trouble to make the switch. Oh, and to make that switch easy, consider using something like the purse pouchee: http://pouchee.com/
- Handbag Hygiene: Just something to think about…where does your handbag spend most of its time? If you’re like most women, it’s everywhere…your shoulder, the car seat, your desk drawer, the restaurant bathroom counter, and the floor while you’re eating lunch. As a result, your handbag can be laden with more germs than…oh, let’s not go there… Think carefully about where you put your bag. The last thing you want to do is have it on the floor of a public bathroom (or any bathroom for that matter) and a few minutes later on your kitchen table.Want to keep your bag off the floor while you’re at a restaurant. Consider a handbag holder.
Your handbag, like most accessories, is a reflection of you. Forget about purely functional. There are so many styles available right now that no one needs to settle for something they do not enjoy using.
If you are have only one basic handbag, keep it simple. Whether you choose an elegant shoulder bag, doctor’s bag, hobo bag, bucket bag, compartment bag, satchel or messenger bag (just to name a few styles), choose a color that goes with most of your wardrobe and keep the hardware (buckles, grommets, and metal detail) to a minimum.
Want a great looking basic handbag? Try a Beijo Bag: http://www.beijobags.com/
There are a multitude of options for everything from a fun casual tote to a professional handbag to a dressy clutch.
The key to a useful handbag is to blend purpose, beauty and personality. Before buying a handbag that is purely functional, always ask yourself this question: Do I love it and will I look forward to carrying it?